Effective Jan. 1, 2013, the rules for Protective Orders (order of protection, injunction against harassment, and injunction against workplace harassment) changed. R-12-0013 effective 1/1/13: prohibits public disclosure of information regarding the filing or contents of a protective order until the protective order has been served .

18 USC 2265: A State, Indian tribe, or territory shall not make available publicly on the Internet any information regarding the registration, filing of a petition for, or issuance of a protection order, restraining order or injunction, restraining order, or injunction in either the issuing or enforcing State, tribal or territorial jurisdiction, if such publication would be likely to publicly reveal the identity or location of the party protected under such order.

What is an Injunction against Harassment?

An injunction against harassment prohibits a person from harassing, annoying or alarming another person.

The person filing the injunction is called the plaintiff. The person against whom the injunction is filed is called the defendant.

Where do I file a petition for Injunction Against Harassment?

An injunction may be filed in any of the following courts Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

  • Tucson City Court, 103 E. Alameda Street
  • Pima Consolidated Justice Court, 240 N Stone Avenue,
  • Pima County Juvenile Court, Clerk's Office, 2225 E. Ajo Way
  • Pima County Superior Court, Clerk's Office, 110 W. Congress, 1st Floor

After 5:00 p.m. weekdays, or at any time on a weekend or holiday, an emergency injunction against harassment can be filed by contacting the Tucson Police Department (741-4444) or the Pima County Sheriff's Department (724-4900). In case of an emergency call 911.

How do I file?

You must complete the paperwork given to you by court staff. An injunction against harassment can only be issued against one person. Each person you want to file against requires a separate petition. After you complete the paperwork, you will be scheduled before a judge who will review your petition and either grant or deny the injunction. In some cases, the judge may schedule a subsequent hearing with both parties prior to ruling on the injunction.

If you have previously petitioned for an injunction against harassment and it was not granted, you must return to the same court for any subsequent petition against the same person or advise any other court that your petition was not granted by another court.

What happens if the injunction is granted?

If the judge grants the injunction, a member of the clerk's staff will complete the paperwork for you. The defendant must be served with the injunction before it becomes effective. Court staff will explain how to have the defendant served. While there is no fee for filing an injunction there is a fee for having it served. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months. It is important to keep a copy of the injunction with you at all times.

Can the Injunction against Harassment be changed or modified?

The defendant may file a Request for Hearing to contest, change or modify the order. Court staff will schedule a hearing and all parties will be notified. The court will mail a copy of the notice of hearing to you specifying the location, date and time of the hearing.

What if the Injunction involves a minor?

If the plaintiff is a minor, the petition must be filed by the parent, legal guardian or the person who has legal custody of the minor. Any injunction sought against a person who is less than twelve years of age must be filed in the Juvenile Court.

Additional Questions?

If you have any questions concerning injunctions against harassment, you may obtain information from the courts listed below:

  • Tucson City Court,   791-4971
  • Pima County Consolidated Justice Court,    724-3171
  • Clerk of the Juvenile Court,    724-2064
  • Clerk of the Superior Court,   724-3272 or 724-3235
Additional information is also available on the Arizona Supreme Court Domestic Violence website at