Effective Jan. 1, 2013, the rules for Protective Orders (order of protection, injunction against harassment, and injunction against workplace harassment) changed. R-12-0013 effective 1/1/13: prohibits public disclosure of information regarding the filing or contents of a protective order until the protective order has been served .

18 USC 2265: A State, Indian tribe, or territory shall not make available publicly on the Internet any information regarding the registration, filing of a petition for, or issuance of a protection order, restraining order or injunction, restraining order, or injunction in either the issuing or enforcing State, tribal or territorial jurisdiction, if such publication would be likely to publicly reveal the identity or location of the party protected under such order.

What is an Order of Protection?

An order of protection is a court order intended to prevent acts of domestic violence. A person who believes that they themselves or a family member are or may become victims of domestic violence may submit a request (petition) to any court for the issuance of an order of protection. The person you want an order against must have committed or threatened to commit an act of domestic violence within the last year. A child may not be included in an order of protection if the person against whom you are seeking the order is his/her parent, unless that person has committed domestic violence against the child. You must seek custody orders in a separate action in Superior Court.

The person filing the injunction is called the plaintiff. The person whom the injunction is filed against is called the defendant.

Who can I file an order of protection against?

An order of protection can be filed against someone that is: 1) a spouse or former spouse, 2) a person you now or did live with, 3) a person with whom you currently have or had a romantic or sexual relationship, 4) a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister, parent-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, brother-in-law or sister-in-law, or 5) someone you have a child with.

Where do I file a petition for an order of protection?

A petition may be filed in any of the following courts Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

  • Tucson City Court, 103 E. Alameda Street
  • Pima Consolidated Justice Court, 240 N Stone Avenue,
  • Pima County Juvenile Court, Clerk's Office, 2225 E. Ajo Way
  • Pima County Superior Court, Clerk's Office, 110 W. Congress, 1st Floor

The petition should be filed in Superior Court if you are involved in a pending legal action related to divorce, legal separation, paternity, child support, custody or visitation or intend to file one of these actions within the next 30 days.

After 5:00 p.m. weekdays, or at any time on a weekend or holiday, an emergency order of protection can be requested by contacting the Tucson Police Department (741-4444) or the Pima County Sheriff's Department (724-4900). In case of an emergency, call 911.

How do I file?

You must complete the paperwork given to you by court staff. An order of protection can only be issued against one person. Each person you want to file against requires a separate petition. There is no fee for filing. After you complete the paperwork, you will be scheduled before a judge who will review your petition and either grant or deny the order.

What happens if the order is granted?

If the judge grants the order, a member of the clerk's staff will complete the paperwork for you. The defendant must be served with the order before it becomes effective. Court staff will explain how to arrange for service. There is no fee for serving the defendant. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months. It is important to keep a copy of the order of protection with you at all times.

Can the Order of Protection be changed or modified?

The defendant may file a Request for Hearing to contest, change or modify the order. Court staff will then schedule a hearing and all parties will be notified. If your order of protection gives you exclusive right to your home, the hearing will be scheduled within five (5) court days of the defendant's request. If you do not have an exclusive right to your home, the hearing will be scheduled within ten (10) court days.

The court will mail a copy of the notice of hearing to you specifying the location, date and time of the hearing.

What if the Order of Protection involves a minor?

Any petition for an order of protection sought against a person who is less than twelve years of age shall be filed in the Juvenile Court and in those cases in which the defendant and the plaintiff are both parties to an open dependency case.

Additional Questions?

If you have any questions concerning an order of protection, you may obtain information from the courts listed below:

  • Tucson City Court,   791-4971
  • Pima County Consolidated Justice Court,    724-3171
  • Clerk of the Juvenile Court,    724-2064
  • Clerk of the Superior Court,   724-3272 or 724-3235
Additional information is also available on the Arizona Supreme Court Domestic Violence website at