Civil Traffic

Civil traffic citations filed in the Pima County Consolidated Justice Court may be issued by any law enforcement agency. The most common civil traffic violations include speeding, failure to show proof of insurance, no proof of registration, not wearing a seatbelt, parking violations, texting and driving, as well as vehicle repair violations.

Your first court date is an arraignment. This appearance will take place with a window clerk where you will be provided your options and the opportunity to make your decision on how your case will be resolved.

You may:

  • Plead responsible to the charge(s): The fines and fees, as well as any possible impact on your driving record with MVD are determined based on the violation.
  • Plead not responsible: A civil traffic hearing date will be scheduled, where you and the citing officer will appear before a hearing officer and a decision will be rendered.
  • Complete defensive driving for the dismissal of one moving violation if you have not taken a defensive driving class within 12 months from the date you were cited. You will pay the school not the Court.
    • Defensive Driving School: 1-888-334-5565 or at
    • Bike Diversion: (520) 207-3200 or at
      **This option is for those cited while operating a bicycle.
  • Show proof of insurance, registration, or driver's license issued before the citation date for dismissal. Valid proof that is issued after the citation date may qualify for a reduced fine.
  • Submit a Civil Traffic Compromise for a moving violation that involved an accident.

Failure to appear at the arraignment or to satisfy the charge(s) with the Court will place your case in default status, which will impose full fines and additional fees.  This may result in the suspension of your driver's license by the Motor Vehicle Division.

Citing Agencies

Please note that a police report is not filed with the Court. To obtain a copy of the police report, please make a request with the citing law enforcement agency.

Citations are filed with the Court by the following most common law enforcement agencies:

***Please note that this is not a complete list of citing agencies***

Case Flow Chart

Civil Traffic Flow Chart

Common Case Terms & Definitions

Arraignment - A date where the court informs a defendant of his or her charges and asks him/her how he or she is going to plead (responsible or not responsible).

Citation - A police issued order to appear before a judge on a given date to defend against a stated charge.

Civil Traffic Compromise - is a written agreement between the defendant and the victim in which the victim agrees to recommend the citation be dismissed because the defendant has fully paid the victim’s economic loss.

Civil Traffic Hearing - A judicial session held for the purpose of deciding issues of facts to decide whether it is more probable than not that the civil traffic violation(s) were committed.

Civil Traffic Hearing Officer - An appointed judicial officer who has the authority to preside over civil traffic violation cases.

Default - Failure to fulfill an obligation such as appearing in court or paying a fine.

Juvenile - A person who has not reached the age of 18.

Motion - A motion is a formal written request to a hearing officer for purposes of obtaining an order in favor of the individual making the request.

Plea - An accused person's formal response of "responsible" or "not responsible".

TTEAP Hold - Means the Traffic Ticket Enforcement Assistance Program established by A.R.S. §§ 28-1630 et seq., where a hold is placed on the registration of all vehicles registered to the defendant until all delinquent restitution fines, fees, and surcharges have been paid or a waiver has been issued.


  • How can I lift a suspension on my license?
    • To lift a driver's license suspension, a defendant may pay the fines and fees in full or start a payment plan with the Court. You may choose either option in person or by telephone. You must follow up with the Motor Vehicle Division to ensure your license is reinstated.

  • Can I mail in my proof(s) and payment?
    • Yes, proof(s) and payments can be submitted to the Court either in person or by mail at 240 N. Stone Avenue Tucson, AZ 85701. Please specify a case number on any document submitted to ensure proper processing.

  • I'm under 18 years old, what do I need to do?
    • Any juvenile under the age of 18 must appear in front of a hearing officer with a parent or legal guardian. This appearance is mandatory before a plea is entered on any charge. Picture ID must be provided by all parties.

  • Do I have to wait for the court date listed on my citation?
    • If you were cited for a civil traffic offense you can take care of your case prior to the court date listed on the citation only if the Court has received the citation. If the officer/agency has not submitted the citation to the Court, the Court will not be able to assist you prior to your court date.

  • What is a motion? What do I write on a motion?
    • A motion is a formal written request to a hearing officer for purposes of obtaining an order in favor of the individual making the request. You can submit a civil traffic motion online, or you can download a motion form (JP151A) available on our website at Once you have downloaded the form and specified your request you will need to mail the motion to the Court or bring it in person to 240 N. Stone Avenue Tucson, AZ 85701. A ruling will be mailed to you once the hearing officer has reviewed the motion and made a decision.

Appeal Process

After the conclusion of a civil traffic hearing, the State or the defendant may appeal the hearing officer's ruling. The appeal procedure is set forth in Rules of Court Procedure for Civil Traffic and Civil Boating Violations and in the Arizona Revised Statutes.

To start an appeal, a Notice of Appeal must be filed with the originating court within fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of the final order. If a Notice of Appeal is not filed within 14 calendar days, the final order can no longer be appealed.

There are two stages to the appeal process. The first stage begins in the Justice Court; the second stage takes place in the Superior Court. All steps must be completed at both stages to avoid possible dismissal of the appeal.

The person who files the appeal is the Appellant. The opposing party is the Appellee. The Justice Court is the trial court.

The defendant must pay the ordered fine amount to prevent his or her case entering default status and possible collection action. A case in default status may result in a suspension of the defendant's driver's license by the Motor Vehicle Division. The payment may be held as a bond throughout the appeal process. If the option of a payment plan is provided by the hearing officer, the defendant must remain compliant with the agreed upon terms during the appeal process.

***For a complete appeal packet and instructions please view form: JP401 Civil Traffic Appeal Packet***

Other Information

Pima County Consolidated Justice Court seeks to improve access to the Court. Below you will find some helpful links to assist you in submitting a civil traffic motion, proof(s), requesting a hearing date, and researching other information to help you make an informed decision.

Helpful Links: